Interior and Exterior Lighting
Designers and manufacturers of quality architectural lighting, made in Milwaukee since 1974
We Make Light Fixtures People Love
Designers and Manufacturers of Architectural Lighting Since 1974
Our home is Milwaukee where we design, manufacture and nationally distribute our light fixtures. We are one of America's leading sources for decorative interior lighting, exterior lighting and alabaster lighting. We make light fixtures for both residential and commercial spaces. No other lighting company offers the diversity of product, quality construction and finish, or the ability to tailor each light fixture order to meet individual design interests and architectural requirements.
"When making the selections for the lighting fixtures in the home we considered others, but found ourselves using the products at Brass Light Gallery as a standard for comparison. We found options that tied in
perfectly with other features." Peter M., Belgium, WI.
We are a favorite of architects and designers due to our capacity to handle volume orders and the ability to customize standard fixtures from our six collections. Our lights adorn hotels, restaurants, continuing care communities, libraries and fine homes around the country where design is critical.
Our light fixtures can be found in commercial applications throughout the country. Examples include:
- Boone Pickens Stadium, Oklahoma City, OK
- Brown University, Providence, RI
- Capitol Building, Madison, WI
- Disney's California Adventure Park,CA
- Greer Memorial Hospital, Greer, SC
- Harvard University, Boston, MA
- Horicon Bank, Horicon WI
- Patriot National Bank, Multiple Locations
- Pinehurst Resort, Village of Pinehurst, NC
- Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA
- Sunrise Assisted Living, Multiple Locations
- University of Wisconsin, Fluno School of Business, Madison, WI
- Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, NY
To browse our vintage antique lighting please visit our vintage lighting site at vintage.brasslight.com.
Visit our Milwaukee ShowroomBrass Light Gallery's lighting Showroom is a national destination for architects, designers and home owners. Browse our extensive displays of interior and exterior lighting in architectural styles including Arts & Crafts, Prairie School, Neo Classic, Georgian Revival, Colonial, and Victorian
Qualified lighting consultants are on staff to assist you during business hours to help you make informed decisions about your lighting choices. Appointments are recommended for residential and commercial architectural plan review.
Conveniently located in the heart of downtown Milwaukee, 90 minutes from downtown Chicago and Madison, or 60 Minutes from Chicago's North Shore.
Click here for Directions and Hours.
- Born and raised on Milwaukee's South side, Steve passion for lighting was sparked when as a teenager, he worked at an elaborate historic movie theater. He found the decorative and architectural elements fascinating, and the light fixtures particularly intriguing. Steve's interest lead him to Architectural History and Art History studies, at the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.
Igniting the Artistic Fire
- Fueled by an appreciation for the integrity of good design, Stephen Kaniewski founded Brass Light Gallery in 1974. He purchased his first vintage lights at auction, 3 Arts & Crafts fixtures, and started selling restored vintage lighting out of his parents' basement and neighbors' garages. In 1981, Steve entered the manufactured lighting business. Through his stewardship, Brass Light Gallery has grown into a leading manufacturer of both residential and commercial lighting.
Entrepreneurship and Urban Renewal
- Beyond his passion for lighting, Steve is devoted to historic preservation. Steve has led or participated in numerous historic preservation efforts in the City of Milwaukee, neighboring suburb Wauwatosa, and in Vilas County in Northern Wisconsin. In the past 35 years Steve and company have also restored 10 mixed use buildings, typically occupying two or three at any given moment. With the move to the flagship location on St. Paul Avenue in 2006, Steve has positioned Brass Light Gallery in an ideal location in the heart of Milwaukee.
A Passion For Lighting
- Steve has traveled the world collecting and studying lighting. He has an equal appreciation for periods ranging from 17th Century Baroque to 30's Modern. Steve has amassed the largest architecturally significant lighting collection in this country. Yes we restore and sell vintage lighting....Visit vintage.brasslight.com to learn more.
- Drawing inspiration from the past, Steve has been designing light fixtures for the marketplace and individual customers for over 35 years.
Fresh New Designs
- His job site experience coupled with his knowledge of lighting history ensure that his designs are practical, functional, and aesthetically pleasing. Steve cares about visual details. He believes that choosing the appropriate decorative elements, scale and finish for lighting is integral to successful architectural and interior design. If you need assistance to determine which size lantern best fits your exterior, we can send you sample frames to get a better perspective. We regularly provide potential customers with sample product to verify scale, quality of construction, finish and style. Need to see which finish will work best for your application? Order finish and glass samples to see the difference first hand.
The Devil is in the Details
- Steve is a pretty tall guy. The extra height comes in handy on the job site. When Steve holds a fixture up for a client to get a visual impression, he can hold it at the correct height on the wall or over a dining room table. Steve and staff also make regional site visits (including the Chicago area) to assist customers.
It Help's that He's Tall
3 Things Steve Wants You to Know
- Yes, we really make what we sell. Made in the USA means our facility employs real Americans making every light fixture we offer. We shear, saw, machine, and bend metal and our shop floor utilizes progressive manufacturing techniques. Steve recalls that, "Many years ago, in the 1980s, and in times since then I have stood at the crossroad of committing to American Manufacturing or sourcing production of light fixtures overseas. I believe I can provide you, the customer, with the best level of service and value for your light fixture dollar by making product in this country."
Made in USA - Always
The commitment to manufacturing has allowed us to develop state of the art manufacturing processes and engineering capabilities to service your custom requests. Our Continuous Improvement culture has allowed us to drive down our lead times to get you exactly what you want when you want it. When you offer your customer thousands of possible combinations you don't want to waste much time building stock. Rather, we've invested in our people and our manufacturing tooling to offer turnaround times unheard of in this industry. Even people who have visited our factory and have seen our capabilities with their own eyes cannot believe what our skilled craftsmen are able to accomplish.
- We have developed unique capabilities to meet your needs, short lead times, design flexibility, superior finishes, and ability to tailor options. Our customers generally don't contact us for cookie cutter solutions, so we don't offer cookie cutter products.
No Cookie Cutters Here.
You and your project are special! Every light is made-to-order; in other words, we don’t stock. Each fixture is handmade to your order specification. This approach goes hand in hand with our commitment to manufacturing under our own roof. When you are fulfilling a project vision, little details are a big deal. We understand this and allow you to get the light fixtures you really need, not just what is easiest for us to produce. Visit other lighting companies - they don't make what they sell - so they tend to push customers into purchasing what they have on the shelf or what's due to arrive on the next shipment from overseas. Alternatively, my staff and I can guide you towards the decorative solution that's best for you.
- We sell direct. You can not find our fixtures in any other lighting store or other online source. We make every light fixture in, and sell them from, our headquarters in Wisconsin. They say imitation is a form of flattery, and over the years we have been knocked off by numerous other companies providing imported goods of inferior quality. Beware of look-alike product. The light fixtures we offer are inspired by architectural design and history, not from paging through a competitors catalog! When you are in the Milwaukee/Chicago area stop by our showroom in Milwaukee, WI. We build lighting for projects all over the country and occasionally internationally.
Buy Direct with Confidence